Happy Holidays to you and your loved ones! Over the next 7 days I’m going to be posting my favorite holiday recipes I’ve created this season!
Today I whipped up these absolutely delicious kale and avocado boats that received a huge thumbs up from my husband. I love fresh fruits and vegetables but I know some people aren’t use to eating them so whenever I get validation from my family and friends, it’s a huge help to make sure it has the website approval for all of you to enjoy!
I find that eating simple for me is always my favorite and it truly helps me to feel connected to my body. Just because it’s the holiday season doesn’t mean you have to over do it on foods that may cause you feeling heavy, bloated and regretful. You can still be festive and take care of yourself.
I decided to make this holiday salad two ways. One is to put them into dinosaur kale leaves and the other is to omit the avocado in the recipe and to just stick the salad it in an avocado instead! My dear, sweet friend Kristina just did a holiday recipe with avocado boats which you can find her YouTube channel, “Fully Raw Kristina.”
Another way to make this salad is to put in on top of a sweet potato. My husband opted out of the dinosaur kale so I made it with a sweet potato for him and it was seriously delicious! I wish it didn’t get pitch dark outside by 4pm or I would have taken pictures to have in here. Just trust me, it’s AMAZING!
- 4-5 Dinosaur Kale Leaves
- 6 Strawberries (diced small)
- 3 Radishes (diced small)
- 1 Cucumber (diced small)
- 1/3 cup Pomegranates
- 1/4 Red Onion (finely diced)
- 3 Tablespoons Pinenuts
- 3 Tablespoons Cilantro (minced)
- 2 Tablespoons Lime Juice
- 1 Avocado (diced)
If making the avocado boats, leave out the kale all together and increase your avocados to 5 instead of 1.
If you want the to make the sweet potato version, use 2-3 large sweet potatoes. Wash and bake on top of parchment paper for 1 hour on 350 degrees. I found they cook just fine without oil.
- Cut of the ends of the kale.
- Flip the kale over so that the stem is sticking up.
- With a sharp, small knife, cut back from the base of stem to where it meets the leaf. Make sure you do not cut through to the other side. As the stem gets slimmer towards the top, you don’t need to worry about cutting it as much. (see my recipe here you need assistance)
- In a bowl, gentle mix together the cucumber, strawberries, radish, pomegranates, red onion, pinenuts, cilantro and lime juice. (If you want to make the avocado boats or want to try out the sweet potato style, stuff either with this salad mix in the bowl. If making the kale boats, continue to the next step.)
- Next add in the avocado into the bowl, mix gently.
- In your kale leaf, stuff with the salad and ENJOY! Xx
Share this Recipe